Monday, October 27, 2014

True Detective Season 2

With Taylor Kitsch, that kid from John Carter, being the newest addition to True Detective it seems like a well-rounded cast to say the least. Kitsch will be joining Collin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and probably Rachel McAdams. All of these are great actors but I have two issues with this upcoming season. 

First, there are some really big shoes to fill! Don't get me wrong, I seriously love the idea of a revolving door cast and making these seasons feel more like a miniseries. What makes it difficult is when you have such a dynamite cast the first season. It is going to be really hard for these household names, and Kitsch, to impress audiences after seeing McConaughey and Harrelson dominate in the first season. 

My next thought is will Taylor Kitsch be able to fall in line with the big leagues? Yes, he has a few notches on his acting belt; but I'm not so sure that there are enough notches to catch such a big break as this. On one hand, good for him, this is a huge accomplishment and honor. Celebs have been clamoring over these roles for months now and he has win the jackpot. On the other hand, he must be not half bad for a network as prestigious as HBO to cast him. I guess time will tell, if he can hack the role or if his character will get hacked off. 

And I have one more thought to add. I am puzzled by the choice of Vince Vaughn. I am not questioning his acting merit or abilities. I just think it odd that he is being cast in such a serious show. Looking at his filmography his one great whack at anything other than slapstick comedy was his semi-successful romantic movie The Breakup. Which I'm pretty sure made all it's money because the costars were truly dating. Maybe the writers want to McConaughey Vince Vaughn. Matthew wasn't taken very seriously as a deep method actor and then suddenly he is chasing down the bad guys and his whole career basically implodes. I hope Vaughn gets McConaughied (and yes, I just made that a term!). I can see it. Either way, Vaughn is a great addition to the cast. I am just curious about the personality and depth of his character. 

After all this deep thought I am even more excited for the show to get started. It will be awhile but it's going to be an exciting ride when we get there. Season one was a slow start but a phenomenal finish. I am hoping for full horsepower from episode one this time around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment