Sunday, April 15, 2012

Top Ten Movies to Watch on a Sunday Afternoon

It's Top Ten Week. Each day I will be bringing you a different list, so make sure to check daily.

Since it is Sunday, I decided to go with the best movies to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. You can use one of these movies next weekend.


                           
Somethings Gotta Give
Who doesn't love this romantic comedy? Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson team up as an unlikely couple, Harry and Erica. Harry starts by dating Erica's daughter who is played by Amanda Peet. He realizes that it is far better to date in his own age category when he mets the striking, hilarious and witty Erica. Why is this a good Sunday movie? It's just enough life put into the typical romantic comedy that it keeps you hooked. Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton make a hot older pair and anyone can connect to the characters. Make some popcorn with this one.

Moonstruck
This is my mom's favorite movie of all time. It's perfect for a Sunday afternoon because it is a film with everything in it. You have heartbreak, peppy music, and a dysfunctional family. Nicholas Cage has the best performance of his career and the Grandpa is my absolute favorite character. Watching this always makes me feel comforted. Definitely one to watch in your pajamas.

Mr. Holland's Opus
This movie is nothing but adorable. It is one of those movies that can be described perfectly as a feel good film. It's amazing to watch his career and the fulfillment that he personally gets out of conducting the high school orchestra. I always remember watching this movie as a kid curled up on the couch with the family.

Forrest Gump
This movie can fit every single genre of film except for possibly horror. I don't think that is anything terrifying about Forrest Gump, at least not to me. Tom Hanks is at his best along with Robin Wright and Sally Field, I don't know what could be better. It's a long movie too, which is perfect to lay around to and not care about the time. Most of all, its one of the most quotable movies of all time. Watching Forrest with his son is the most touching of all, and I always end up crying. All these things add up to the perfect Sunday afternoon movie.

When Harry Met Sally
This movie is nothing short of amazing. Every single woman in America, and probably the world, loves this movie. It is a rite of passage to see this movie and to repeatedly watch it anytime it is on television. So many famous scenes from this movie and it really launched both Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan into the high points of their careers. Their everlasting and complicated love always makes me feel like their has to be someone out there for everyone. Grab the chocolate ice cream for this one.

Julie & Julia
Of course you all knew a Meryl Streep movie would make my list! This movie is truly crafted with genius lacing two stories together flawlessly. Meryl shines as does Amy Adams, one of my other personal favorites. The real reason this film makes this list in particular is because it follows someone's life. It is always fun to follow someone through a biographic type of film, especially when you are dreading going back to the real world the next day. Best of all, you can impersonate Julia Child the entire time!

Footloose
Yes, the original. I don't know why but there is something about watching Kevin Bacon while being half asleep on the couch. Plus this film is iconic and a classic. There is also something about watching a movie you have seen a million times just so you can say you have seen it again. The music in this film is what really makes it good for Sunday afternoons because the songs will be stuck in your head all day Monday at work.

Mrs. Doubtfire
I'm not even sure that I have to explain why this movie made the list. Personally, I think I could watch this movie any day of the week. Robin Williams is genius in this role and once again Sally Field graces the screen in this movie too. Just watch it.

So I Married an Axe Murderer
Most people I have met have never even heard of this movie. It kind of flew under the radar and its a dark comedy which doesn't interest everyone. Personally, I love a good dark comedy. This one stars Mike Myers which just enhances the whole film into being a hilarious twisted comedy. You will laugh the entire time.

My Sister's Keeper
It's a tearjerker but worth it. Although I am not the biggest fan of the ending, since it was changed dramatically from the original story in Jodi Picoult's book; it still is a fantastic film. The best aspect of this movie is the casting. Every single main character is well rehearsed and executes their role with a precision that is hard to come by. Cameron Diaz was able to break out of her shell in this film as well, away from typecasting. Grab a box of tissues and your sweatpants for this one. Don't worry the feeling you get during the last scene of the movie will make all the crying worth it.

Make sure to look for tomorrow's post: Top Ten Movies to Watch With Your Siblings 

3 comments:

  1. Hey my husband James and I were chatting with you on the ferry last night. We so enjoyed meeting you. Your blog is so awesome! I love your Top Ten Movies to watch on a Sunday afternoon. "Forrest Gump" and "When Harry Met Sally" are two of my all time favorites. I could never get tired of them. My brother Martin recommended "When Harry Met Sally" to me and I fell in love with it. He has such good taste in movies. I think you'll enjoy the blogs he posted on FB. Anyway I just wanted to say hi. Keep the blog going. It's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I also really liked "So I Married an Axe Murderer." I think we talked about our love for dark comedies. Please tell me you have seen "Throw Momma From the Train." Excellent black comedy with Billy Crystal and Danny Devito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have definitely seen that movie! Awesome acting!

    ReplyDelete