Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Shameful Day

What do you with a iconic classic movie that still touches generation after generation? I have the perfect answer: You leave it alone.

I just heard some very disturbing news: NBC is remaking The Sound of Music into a television movie. I understand that movies get remade all the time. Some of the remakes are even better than the originals. I also understand that this amazing heartwarming story has been redone in theaters all over the country let alone across America. I just don't agree with remaking this classic movie when Julie Andrews is still alive. She is alive and well. It is a shame that she is being disgraced with someone taking her place as Maria Von Trapp.

Now onto the worst part of this whole dilemma: the person that has been chosen to portray this ever famous role. It's a hard role to take on and one that will surely come under a lot of criticism because of who Julie Andrews is. Carrie Underwood has been selected for the part. No word on who will fulfill the other roles yet. I don't hate Carrie Underwood. I really like her music with the exception of a few tunes, but she is in no way right for this role. Her acting is subpar to say the least and her voice is great but will result in a very different take on the role. Her voice is very different from Julie Andrews and I can see this taking a toll on the essence of the character.

I am sure that in time I will get over this story. I will move on from hating the fact that they are remaking this beloved movie that everyone has come to show to their children and grandchildren. But I will forever remember this day as the day that someone out there thought that Carrie Underwood is equivalent in talent to Julie Andrews: a shameful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment