Monday, October 15, 2012

Watch of the Week

Here we are again on this lovely Monday afternoon. I always love to think of the Watch of the Week movie because it's a challenge! This week I am going with an oldie, but a goodie. I have always been really fond of this movie but a lot of people haven't even heard of it, let alone seen it. I think it is one of the films that fell by the wayside in my generation. You all probably know the song though, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Well the movie is seriously great.

Here's why:
It's got the old timey feel to it. The clothes are cool and the lingo and vocabulary is certainly different and distinct.

It's a musical! And a great one at that. The songs are beautifully written and the choreography reminds me a lot of Mary Poppins.

Speaking of Mary Poppins that brings to my next reason why I love this film and that's Dick Van Dyke! He plays Caractacus Potts, a hopeless inventor who is lonely in the world of love. His love interest is played by Sally Ann Howes, her character has the best name: Truly Scrumptious.

The best, best part of this movie is the fantasy twist that is added. Of course you have all heard about how is movie has a flying car in it! Well, it can float too and do all sorts of things! Caractacus, the children and Truly must go on an adventure to Vulgaria and Chitty takes them there. Vulgaria is a far away land with a ruler named Baron Bomburst. Baron Bomburst is downright crazy and has banned children from Vulgaria. He sends the evil child catcher around the town to make sure that all the children have been locked away. The child catcher will seriously scare you out of your pants. Well maybe he won't, but he always scared me growing up. I had nightmares about him coming to get me. I know the story sounds crazy, and it is! But that is what makes it so great. I know that you all remember having a vivid imagination as a kid and pretending to be princesses or knights is shining armor. This musical is in existence because someone took that imagination and created a brilliant masterpiece of out it. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about and probably want to pop in your VHS and watch it right now. If you haven't seen it, give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment