Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hermione, Percy and Nothing

I don't know how many of you have read the fabulous book The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I do know that if you have not read this book, you really should. And if you are not going to take that piece of advice, take this one: go see the movie when it hits theaters. This film has not hit theaters everywhere yet, but check your theater of choice.

Here's why: the director of this film is the writer of the book. His name is Stephen Chbosky. Not only is he a brilliant writer who wrote a fabulous coming of age book that is relatable on a thousand and one levels, but he also stepped in to direct the film. Which means that the authenticity is completely there and the subtle changes that were made from text to screenplay were done by the director, in his taste. If you have read the book, you will see the book that you fell in love with. If you haven't read the book, you will still enjoy every second of this movie. Literally, I am pretty sure that a guy sitting next to my sister and I crapped his pants during the film. But, we still loved every second of the film and adored the acting.

The acting is so dead-on in this film that I am calling it one of the top five films of the year. These kids are all young and yet they are more relatable and bring such elegance and grace to acting. Emma Watson is beyond brilliant. Her beauty is flawless and her portrayal of her character is so fluid that I had to convince myself that I wasn't seeing exactly what I had read in the book. Logan Lerman had the toughest role in this film and boy did he ace it. The character of Charlie is going through a lot, and for someone to act in that role you have to be able to empathize and put yourself in those shoes. I don't know how this young kid accomplished it but he has great acting ability and a huge future. The adults in the film don't bring anything less to the table. Kate Walsh and Dylan McDermott are the exact picture of the parents in the book and Joan Cusack makes the best addition to the film possible.

Please, if you see any movie this fall...this one is it! No matter how many years ago you graduated high school, you will feel those feelings all over again. But not in the bad way that you may have experienced them in the past. You will feel infinite. 

2 comments:

  1. I attended a pre-screening as well. I adored the film, however the man sitting next to me had pooped. Not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely outrageous, I am so sorry you had to experience that. It sounds awful, but I am glad you were able to stick it out.

    ReplyDelete