Sunday, September 16, 2012

Movies to Watch on a Sunday Afternoon Take Two

The first post that I did of this nature has been a big hit, so I decided to go for another round. Here are my next top ten movies for a Sunday afternoon. I tried to represent a lot of genres, some deep thinkers, some light-hearted and some classics.

Steel Magnolias
Here is a classic that is really heartwarming. It's a great movie to watch with your mom and/or sisters and a big bowl of popcorn.

North by Northwest
Another classic from Alfred Hitchcock. The only reason you would not like this film is if you don't like to watch Cary Grant, and I never met anyone who actually fits in that category. So just watch it.

The Sound of Music
Throughout my college experience I learned a lot about people...one of the big things I learned was how many people have never actually seen The Sound of Music. As I child who was literally raised on musicals, especially this one, I was appalled. I think that everyone needs to see this film, it's a definite rite of passage. Even if you have seen it a hundred times, you can sing along from your spot on the couch.

Arthur
I am talking about the new, redone Arthur that came out in 2011. I have mentioned my love for this film before, because I am infatuated with Russell Brand. If you have seen the original, give this one a chance, you won't be sorry.

Silkwood
This is one of the greatest movies that Meryl Streep ever made. The reason it's great for a Sunday afternoon is because its a deep thinker of a movie. The acting is absolutely excellent featuring not only Streep but also Cher and Kurt Russell.

Life is Beautiful
It's a great movie for a long afternoon, but definitely do not watch this movie unless you have a box of tissues on hand. It's very depressing since the topic is the Holocaust. But, the film is well worth watching and it brings great perspective to the time in history.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Here is another great musical. The cast is what makes this movie what it is. It's an all-star one with Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, and Sacha Baron Cohan. You will be singing the tunes all the way into Monday morning.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
This one is sheerly on her for laughs. Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Amy Adams bring the hilarity. It's one of my top-ten most quotable movies (look for this post coming soon!). Watch it to revive your soul for the long work week ahead.

Casablanca
Another classic. I never saw this movie until I was in high school. It is a great film, not one to be ignored. Check it out.

Meet the Robinsons
Everyone loves a great Disney movie, but not everyone has seen this one. It kind of flew under the radar when it came out. It's a great film all about love, family and adoption.

1 comment: