Friday, August 10, 2012

Copycats are Getting Old

Has anyone else seen that ad for NBC's new show this fall Revolution? Well if you haven't, go to youtube right now and take a look. Once you see it, you will know exactly what I mean about it being a copycat. That is unless you have had your head under a rock since this whole Hunger Games phenomenon has begun. We all know that I am a true fan of the trilogy and have read all the books, in under one week no less. I love this series and although the movies have room for improvement, the franchise is still at full steam ahead.

Because of the steam that this franchise is generating, it comes as no surprise that someone else wanted to get their hands on the same kind of money. Here comes the ads for Revolution. Now, before any of you who want to watch freak out, I say if you want to watch it, go ahead. I am just pointing out that the show looks almost identical to the first screenshots that we saw of Katniss Everdeen (played by Jennifer Lawrence) in the woods with her bow and arrows. The girl who seems to be the main character runs around in a brown leather jacket (sound familiar?) with a bow and arrow.  The power somehow goes out across the whole world and then those left behind have to find new ways to support themselves. I have no idea whether this will lead to the over-killing of what is left of the animals, or just straight cannibalism. But what I really wonder is how far this show can go. The trilogy of the Hunger Games generates such full steam because the fans know that there is a true and valid, and long story behind what the first movie presents.  This television show looks like it has generated enough storyline for only half a season. To make matters worse for this television show it looks like a copycat of another movie too..that would be I Am Legend. Maybe no else sees it, and its just me, but I doubt that as well.

Now, we all know that in Hollywood, copycats can work. Movies are remade years after the original with a new cast to bring sparks and excitement. Ideas are duplicated and represented in a new way that makes America, and the rest of the world, look at the story completely differently. But, duplicity and remaking of ideas only works if you are bringing something fresh to the table. I don't think that Revolution is bringing anything new. I hope there are some other shows that do bring new life this fall season. Ratings for NBC are crucial right now and I would hope that they will do well this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment