Monday, March 19, 2012

Friends With Kids

I saw Friends With Kids last night with my sister. The movie stars and was written by Jennifer Westfeldt. Her acting was flawless and the writing was very epic and smooth. The film also stars Kristen Wiig, Adam Scott, Jon Hamm (who is married to Westfeldt), Maya Rudolph and Chris O'Dowd. For all of you who knows stars, yes, this cast is identical to Bridesmaids, minus Westfeldt and Scott. I think that was the main intrigue behind me wanting to see this particular film.

The movie was great, but the trailers almost made it look more like a comedy. The movie was in fact a drama. But as a person who doesn't yet have children, I still truly enjoyed the movie. The emotions are raw and show the underbelly of what being a parent truly encompasses. Kristen Wiig imparticular showed a different strength to her acting in my opinion. Her character did not have one joke, but she showed a strength in portraying the emotions of an overlooked wife who was extremely tired.

In the beginning of the film, Westfeldt's and Scott's characters start off as great friends who have no physical attraction to one another. They are both friends with married couples Rudolph and O'Dowd and Hamm and Wiig. The two decide that they don't want to be married to the person they have children with because of all the drama and headaches it seems to cause. So, of course the solution to that is to have a baby with your best friend. The thinkable ensues afterward and the story unravels into a predictable, but adorable drama. The cast is strong, the only person I would have replaced would have been Megan Fox. I am not a fan of Fox's, but maybe I should retract that I would replace her. Her character was necessary and she did fill the role with ease.

This one is a good one to see. You could wait to red box it with a friend though. Overall, I give it three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment