Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thankful for Rewind (Golden Globes 2012)

Wow! What a show! Great night and most of the people and ensembles who won I think truly deserved the awards they got. Ricky Gervais needs to be kicked to the curb though. I think NBC has scared him so much that he is afraid to use his good jokes.

RED CARPET:
Best looks of the night
1. Reese Witherspoon
2. Tina Fey
3. Paula Patton 
Other great looks of the night: Jane Fonda, Mila Kunis and Claire Danes.

My biggest issue with the red carpet was the focus on George Clooney's girlfriend. Don't get me wrong, George is fabulous, talented and has a resume that exceeds pretty much everyone else. However, his girlfriend should not be the focus when others are getting completely ignored. I know I always say Meryl, but neither E! nor NBC interviewed her on the red carpet. Viola Davis was also passed up and both of these women were nominated for one of the biggest awards of the night. It's a shame to me, yet I will step down from my soapbox.

THE SHOW:
Top five best moments of the night
1. Meryl's acceptance speech, but we will get to that later. 

2. Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy singing their song when presenting the award for Best Actress in a TV Series. Check it out here: http://gawker.com/5876331/heres-felicity-huffman-and-william-h-macys-charming-presentation-ditty

3. The dog from The Artist. This little guy was so cute. He didn't steal the show by any means, but watching him run around was pretty cute. 

4. Ricky Gervais' best joke of the night, slamming Kim Kardashian. I love Kim and I will watch all of her shows and specials until they go off the air, but it is still entertaining to watch anyone and everyone poke fun at her. 

5. Octavia Spencer winning the award for Best Supporting Actress. It was amazing to watch her shock and surprise. Her acceptance speech was so cute to watch because of her obvious excitement and bewilderment at winning. 

MERYL WINS!!
Here is where my title comes into play: I was literally so excited when Collin Firth announced that she won, that I missed her initial reaction, her kiss with Don and her start to the stage. I jumped out of my recliner, ran around in circles and stamped my feet! I really did think that Viola would walk away with the Globe as I previously blogged about. However, I am so overjoyed that Meryl won her eighth Golden  Globe. She seemed pretty sloshed, but its the Globes, so who cares?! Her speech was still amazing and I was reminded again how humble Meryl is. She is always so supporting of her fellow actresses in the industry. She always boosts them up and believes that their achievements are greater than her own. She gave a shout out to Viola Davis, having worked with her in Doubt. Meryl's latest venture that she has been working on is opening a Women's National History Museum in Washington D.C. I seriously hope this becomes a reality and I will go on opening day. Copy this link to watch her speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXNaudJ5Gc

Overall, the Globes were great and left me breathless for the Oscar nominations! What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment