Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Iron Lady

The time has finally come for me to blog about The Iron Lady. I have so much to say about this film and about Meryl, but I will keep it as short as I can.



All the words I have for this movie can be summed up into one: wow! This movie was truly everything it was built up to be by critics and viewers alike, AMAZING! I went to go see the movie alone on a Saturday afternoon. I know what you are thinking, I am really just that cool. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go, and my mom and I kept running into scheduling conflicts. So I went by myself and showed up to the theater right before the previews started. I settled into one of the handicap companion seats in the third row, very close to the screen. I was the only person in the theater under the age of 50.

At the conclusion of the film all of the older people started "whispering" about the movie and their remarks captured it all. One of them said: "She's done it again, that Ms. Streep is amazing!" Another said: "Her makeup artist had to be amazing, they must have added ten pounds to her neck!" Both of these are true and to understand the physical transformation, you really must see the movie. But let me get back to the start of the film.

The movie started and from the first scene I was so convinced that I was watching Margaret Thatcher, that I had to remind myself that it was Meryl Streep. I, more than most, are aware of how well Streep is able to transform into her character, but I have never seen anything like this. Also the basis of the film is very emotional. I don't want to give too much away, because I honestly think that everyone should see this film. But I will say this: watching her deal with dementia made me never want to get old. The melancholy look back at her life through flashbacks and hallucination paints a picture of what MT's (Margaret Thatcher's) real life was really like.

I know now from watching the film the intense love that there was between Margaret and Dennis Thatcher. However, Dennis and their children always took a backseat to Margaret's career. The movie is seamlessly made, but I can see how some critics took fire towards the film. The theatrical previews make the film look a though it would chronicle her political career, and it does, but not in the way that some critics were imagining. Like I mentioned, the film is all about the poetic love that exists between Margaret and Dennis. Margaret imagines him through her dementia being there the whole movie, by her side, his witty comments stirred into the script.

Definitely go see this film. It cannot be done justice unless you see it with your own eyes. I definitely am expecting for Meryl to get an Oscar nom this Tuesday. And I now definitely understand why she took home the Golden Globe last weekend. I never have doubted you Meryl and never will, but you blew us away with this once, showing us once again your amazing ability to not only act but bring fascinating characters to life. 

Side note: The actress who plays young Thatcher is also amazing. I expect to see a lot more of Alexandra Roach after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment