Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Upside to this year's awards

In my previous post, I chose to focus on what was missing from this year's award nominations. Today, I want to focus on a specific person who is finally getting the recognition she truly deserves. Her name is Viola Davis. This year she is being hailed as embodying the role of Aibileen Clark with ease and grace. She has been nominated not only for a Golden Globe but also has been receiving Oscar nods for a few months since the movie hit theaters. (http://www.indiewire.com/article/2012-oscar-predictions-best-actress# )
This year will be a huge one for her. As a person who is truly obsessed with Meryl Streep, both her character and her works; I truly want Meryl to take the cake for both the Oscars and the Golden Globes in the best actress category.  But what I truly believe will take place is Viola Davis will sweep up and take both awards. This is a woman who is finally getting the recognition that she truly deserves. I will never forget the moment that I made the connection between Davis' roles. I was laying in bed watching Nights of Rodanthe in which Davis plays Jean, the owner of the bed and breakfast and best friend to Adrienne Willis (played by Diane Lane).  I was suddenly struck with the realization that this same woman played the part of Mrs. Miller in Doubt.  Now, Doubt being a Meryl Streep film obviously is great in my eyes. But when I saw the movie I was most influenced and awestruck by the small role of Mrs. Miller. Here's a clip of her work.

Viola Davis and Meryl Streep in Doubt

How she didn't walk home with awards for supporting actress for that performance, I will truly never understand. Here's to Viola Davis and her year to shine at the awards. I will secretly be cheering for her, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment