Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

If you haven't heard of The Fault in Our Stars I am pretty sure that you have been living under a rock! It's the star-crossed love story of the 2000's with a cancer twist that is sure to make even the most stone-hearted person shed a tear. The book is eloquently written and although it took me some time to adjust to the John Green's method of writing, I really enjoyed the book. The characters were vivid and relatable, while also strikingly intelligent and beautiful. Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters share an infinity and a love that most people can only dream to find.

I had high hopes for the film and wasn't disappointed. Of course subtleties were changed as they always are to adapt fiction to film on the big screen. But the story was still intact. The greatest part of the film to me was the dialogue: sentences taken directly from print were used, leaving fans feeling like they were literally watching the pages fly by on the screen. John Green, the author, was present on set for much of the film and his presence and vision shines through the script and through the acting. The casting was impeccable as well. I enjoyed the fact that the parents played by Laura Dern, Sam Trammell, David Whalen and Milica Govich weren't the center of the casting process. They are all faces that you would recognize but not household names, with the exception of Dern. The fact that they fly under the radar brings a freshness to the film and kept the focus on the relationship between the two teenagers. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort played brother and sisters prior to fulfilling these roles (Divergent). I had no doubts that their chemistry would be able to hold up to the expectations of the film. The two young stars embraced the storyline and threw themselves into the hearts their characters possessed in the book.

The craziest part of the book to film translation was the villain. I know it seems a little bit of a stretch to refer to Peter Van Houten as the villain, but it has to be him unless we blame the disease of cancer. Van Houten is played by William Dafoe in the film. I refused to look at the cast before viewing the film so I had no idea that Dafoe was Van Houten. Let me just say that there could not have been a better choice. I hated Van Houten while reading the book, but dreaded him less in the film. I think Green created the character with raw harshness and vulgar drunkenness in mind. Somehow Dafoe embodies the ideals of the character while somehow making him more likable, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Make sure if you haven't seen the film yet to head out this week, the film will be leaving theaters shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment