Sunday, January 19, 2014

Merit, Honor and Most Importantly Popularity and Entitlement: the 2014 Award Circuit

Last night I did something for the first time: I watched 80% of an award show on mute. I admit, I had houseguests, but it was interesting. Trust me, when the Oscars come around, my full attention will be on my television. That being said, I am still in the know of who won last night. And even if I hadn't payed any attention, it would not have mattered. That's because everyone who won at the Golden Globes won again last night. And now it's being predicted that everyone who won last night will win at the Oscars.

I don't know about any of you, but I was hoping for a shake up last night. I thought that we had three huge award shows to see a little variety. I understand and appreciate that the statues, no matter what the ceremony, go to the people who deserve them and that those statues bring honor to the work that said actor or actress did in the past year. BUT, I don't know about the same person in each category walking away with all three of these beloved statues in a given award season. Look at Anne Hathaway, winning all three awards last year for a performance that I still consider mediocre at best.

The formation of the Golden Globes, the Screen Actor's Guild Awards and the Academy Awards took years. They were established at different times and were based on different principles. In the past it wasn't the winner takes it all. Award season used to be a toss up. Sure, the Globes and the SAG's were predictors of the Oscars, but they weren't a tell.  All of the different shows honored talent and roles of merit, but not in the current entitlement parade. Instead, now it seems that its a straight shot. In the past three years many stars have ping-ponged their way from Globe to SAG straight to the most coveted, the Oscar.

Matthew McConaughey was a breath of fresh air on the carpet last night because his reaction to being nominated for an Oscar was so brilliant. He was obviously astounded, shocked, dumbfounded and completely exhilarated by the entire thing. I thought it was beautiful. He probably will win the Oscar, and I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve it. I am just saying that his reaction was something inspiring. He and his wife were obviously bathing in the glow and relishing in this amazing time. He was nominated for an Oscar for Pete's sake. Most actors kill themselves striving to even get the chance of being nominated. But I feel as though this allure is a dying art form.

Please do not mistake the point of this post. I am not trying to demean those who have been winning awards, or complain about the circuit, because I LOVE AWARD SEASON. I am just trying to bring it back to the excitement, the astonishment and the glamour that used to be the season. Many stars walk the carpet now as if they are entitled to win everything instead of walking with the look of gratefulness for even making the guest list. It seems like a vat of high school students, all milling around waiting to be crowned most popular. And now their popularity with the public seems to play a huge role in their popularity with their peers. I don't think there will be a change in this anytime soon, but it just made me stop and think. Do these beloved statues hold the same esteem that they used to? And if they do, have the standards of winning one fallen by the wayside?


No comments:

Post a Comment