Saturday, October 12, 2013

Why Missouri Has Let Me Down

After living in Missouri and Kansas for six years and then moving back to the east coast, I have to say that I am an east coast girl all around. However, I like the Midwest just fine, and I really don't have any hard feelings. That is until now!

I am so sad that I am sitting on my couch in Connecticut right now. Why you ask? Because in Missouri right now (of all places Cape Girardeau, Missouri), Ben Affleck is filming Gone Girl. Now, I do realize that to the average Joe and a million other people, this is a not a big deal. But when you are an entertainment mogul and blogger, this is very important stuff.

First off, Gone Girl is set up to be an amazing film. If you haven't picked up the sensational novel yet, then you are really missing one of the best novels in the last ten years. In fact, it's one of my all-time top picks for books. If you don't believe me, then believe everyone else from ages young to old who say the same thing. Gillian Flynn is the author, and this book is her third book. All of her novels have the backdrop of the Midwest. She's a brilliant author and I got to see her on The View and received the book, props of the show. It was a real treat to just be there (especially since that's the famous day when I also saw Meryl Streep). But when I picked up that book I couldn't put it down, I had to read the whole thing sitting upright in my recliner because her story was so fast-paced, intense, amazing and most of all just crazy.

Secondly, all the people who are involved in making the film version of an already magnificently crafted story, are amazingly talented people. These are the kind of people in Hollywood who don't let us down. You have Reese Witherspoon who is producing the film. She bought the rights right after the book was published. Then you have a brilliant cast of Ben Affleck (hello...ARGO!), Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry and Rosamund Pike. Rosamund Pike, although not extremely well known, is extremely talented.

I truly have high hopes for the film, as you can see. I am just disappointed that the universe powers never brought me anything cool like this when I was living in the Midwest. Now the whole town of Cape Girardeau, which isn't even a cape town( it's named for a big rock overlooking a lake!!), is going to be flooded with tourists trying to get a glimpse of the famous Affleck!!  Have fun Missouri, have fun. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish you were here even if you are an east coast girl. We could have had a LOT of good conversation about Gone Girl!! Sara R.

    ReplyDelete