Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Movies That Aren't Worth Your Time

Childhood is the best. We spend all our of time as kids wanting to grow older, but now as a twenty three year old I yearn for the days of laying around in your pajamas watching movies. Things are just plain magical when you are a kid; everything is special and entertainment is easy to come by. When you are young, you can be put in front of any movie and think it's spectacular. This is especially true of Christmas movies. Now that I am older, I realize how stupid some of these films are. While some of them feature concepts that are not half bad, others make ill attempts at a plot but never truly achieve one. Either way the acting is super cheese as I call it. Kids love super cheese, but when reflecting once you are grown you can't understand how anyone could sit through these movies. Here are the top five films that I could never watch again but absolutely loved as a child (with the exception of one movie, which has been truly horrible all along).

I'll Be Home for Christmas (1998)
I can still remember every aspect of this movie. I remember who I saw it with and where I saw it and most importantly, I remember who was in it. Jonathon Taylor Thomas stars in this movie, and we you were a nine year old girl in 1998, he was hot. The movie also stars two members of the cast from the ever-famous TV show 7th Heaven. So all-in-all this was the movie to see that year. When I saw it I proclaimed it one of my favorite movies and said that I would watch it every year. I have only seen it one time since then and realized right then and there how bad it really is.

Babes in Toyland (1986)
I don't need to look back upon this movie to realize it's true potential: this film is downright awful. Now granted, I have never seen the original which came out in 1961, but this revamped version is nothing short of terrible.

The Santa Clause 2 (2002)
This was another one of those Christmas movies that I thought was great. But the following year when I saw it again, I came to terms with how nothing could beat the original Santa Clause. I am sure you have seen the entire trilogy of these movies, but the first one is the only one that should be given any sort of recognition. I have sat through many marathons of all three films, and I can stomach them. The characters are the same which is nice and comforting but the added storylines lack luster and Christmas energy.

To Grandmother's House We Go (1992)
You know this movie, the classic Christmas tune changed into a sappy movie starring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. This was one of the first movies that they actually did, they were pretty young when it was made. The movie is still bearable as an adult for two reasons: the Olsen twins are really cute and you can reminisce about their brighter, younger days and the movie also stars Rhea Pearlman and Jerry Van Dyke. Now both of those same positives are also turned into negatives in your head while you watch the film as an adult. MK and A Olsen have not made much out of those so-called bright futures and Rhea Pearlman and Jerry Van Dyke deliver the worst performance of their careers in this film.

Jack Frost (1998)
Michael Keaton and Kelly Preston star in this film about a boy and his estranged father (Keaton). The father dies in a car accident and the next year at Christmas time returns in the form of a snowman. Creepy huh?! At the time this movie was horrible and it still is now. The concept is creepy to kids and somehow every time I think about it I am just reminded of that Campbell's Soup commercial that always airs this time of year. You know the one that I am referring to where the snowman eats the chicken noodle soup and slowly turns back into a boy? Well, that right there is where I am pretty sure the idea for this movie came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment