Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Underestimation Has Ended

Breaking Dawn Part II and the Twilight Franchise in general, I have a message for you: "I've had a bad habit of underestimating you, every obstacle you've faced, I'd think you couldn't overcome it. But you just did.." (Edward to Bella in Breaking Dawn Part II) After seeing this film, I have to take back a lot of my previous comments in other posts. I had serious doubts that Rob, Kristen and Taylor could pull off the maturity and grace in their acting that this crazy, detailed storyline required. But, they did. Even Kristen gave it her all. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would tear up watching a scene of her acting as a mom, but it happened. She did well for herself despite the fact that most people in America would say that she is a poor actress. If you haven't seen the movie yet, do not read this post yet! Come back after you have seen it and read it.

If you have seen it...read on! I have a number of thoughts that I want to discuss. First off, I really do want to say that I think the movie was fantastic. Everything from the opening credits to the ending credits was done completely right. This was a hard project to take on. There are lots of characters, a complex story, deep history between the characters. Not to mention the drama between the cast in the past couple of months raging like a never-ending fire. But all in all, the movie overcame every obstacle. When watching the opening credits my sister and I knew that it was going to be good. The maturity, design and dignity was already there. The movie moves swiftly covering a few months in a really short span of time. But the movement of the film flows, the new characters are introduced with ease, and you have the feeling that you yourself want to be a vampire.

My only issue with the film, and it's not really even an issue because I don't know what could have been done about; but nevertheless, was Renesmee's appearance as a smaller child. It was a bit creepy the effect of the animation. However, the girl they chose for the role, Mackenzie Foy, was magical. Honestly, that is a hard role to fulfill and she did it perfectly. The craziest part is that she even looks as though she could be Kristen and Rob's child. And now that we have brought up Kristen and Rob, let us address that and get it all out in the open. It had to be really awkward for Kristen to sit in the premiere next to Rob watching this film. The amount of raw, deep and riveting emotion that was packed into this "teeny-bopper" movie was surprisingly complex. I cannot imagine being Kristen or Rob in that theater with the thoughts that had to be running through their heads. Kristen has got to feel a lot of remorse and ache for what she did, if she is sorry. And Rob has to be sitting their thinking "What the heck?" His romance is playing out on a screen for everyone to see, even though the entire world knows that she cheated on him! I know that this is a dead horse, but it had to be said.

The rest of the cast was brilliant as well. This is a cast that I have cracked on in the past, but they all rose to the occasion. My favorite because he is by far the creepiest person in the franchise, was Aro. Aro is played by Michael Sheen and his face is disturbing along with his demeanor and laugh. If you have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang then I am sure that you know the character comparison I am about to make. Aro and Child Catcher are the same person. I mean who's to say that the Child Catcher wasn't a vampire sucking the blood of all the children he captured?! Just kidding, but in all seriousness the looks were very similar and the essence was the same.

The battle scene was intense and very well done. The entire time it was happening I thought that the film had radically been adapted from the book. But upon that scene ending I realized that there was no better way to create the film. It wouldn't have meant the same without that scene. It added depth, insight, blood and guts and emotions that otherwise never would have been addressed.

The ending credits were my favorite part. I loved how the book was intertwined into the credits and the final scene of the film. There is something so rare about a movie being modeled after a book. Of course I know it is done all the time. but it is rarely done well. Watching the characters grace the screen at the end made me wish that the Harry Potter franchise had done that montage at the end of Deathly Hallows Part II. The slideshow brought everything full circle and allowed you to remember the path of the series. All in all, I commend the movie. Kristen has come a long way and I am actually semi-excited to see what she will do next. Rob, I have always loved you, ever since you were in Hufflepuff and I know you will do great things. Taylor, I am pretty sure your career is over except for cameo roles and movies like Abduction, but good luck anyways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment