Thursday, September 6, 2012

Won't Back Down

Had the privilege of going to a pre-showing of the new film Won't Back Down last night. The film was true art. I have never been more serious when making a statement about a film. It captured the essence of teaching and education in America today, while bringing diligent and downright brilliant acting to the screen. The cast was obviously selected extremely carefully, and it showed. The premise of the movie is on the reform of education within the United States. This film chose to focus on a failing school within the Pittsburgh city limits.

I do not want to give away too much of the plot or the specfics about this movie. I know that you can all guess why, but if there is one movie that you should see this year, I think this one should win your ticket! Education reform in this country is extremely important and it is good for every American to take a stand and know what is going on in schools today. The topics that are present in this film are not present in every school, but there are a lot of schools out there that still need help. The facts are set straight in this movie and it is evident that this was not a slapped together project. There was great care in doing research, and designing the script. Care was also given to the actors that would portray these roles. This will be one of those movies that stands with documentaries about education. It encompasses numerous documentaries from the past decade. It will also be a movie to stand among other great education films such as Mona Lisa Smile and Dead Poet's Society. The great thing about this movie is that the issues inside the characters, are issues that are still plaguing our nation right at this very moment. 

Now, I will get off of my soapbox on education and move onto my next one which is underrated and under-recognized actors and actresses. Here it is again ladies and gentlemen, my second year of stating that I think Viola Davis will win big at this next year's awards. I know I said it last year, and in some cases that prediction rang true. I think that this is truly the year that Viola could sweep the golden man. It could be her ticket. Her acting is flawless in this film. As an educator myself, I identified with her acting in a raw and personal way. But just because you aren't an educator, doesn't mean you won't feel that same pull when watching Davis in this film. She is the woman that we have all seen grace the silver screen many times, and we have come to love her! My prediction is she will finally be recognized by the highest judges. It's her golden time to shine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment