Saturday, August 4, 2012

Award Season BUZZ

We all love award season, some of us much more than others. And I know it is weird to think about award season in August while the Olympics are raging on and you can go outside and tan all day, but it truly is right around the corner. So much so, that The Academy is already making headlines with who their frontrunner choice for host is. You may have already heard, but the grapevine says it could be Jimmy Fallon.

There are a couple of problems with this. Number one, we just had a comedian host this past year. While that isn't truly an issue, and ratings were way up, you don't always want to stick to the same thing. If you stick to the same ingredients, there is no variety in the show and the ratings could actually take a downward dive. This might not necessarily be the case here, but it is something that could surface.

The second problem with this is that The Oscars air on ABC while Jimmy Fallon is single-handedly holding up NBC right now. In all seriousness, the man is holding the whole network by a thread. He himself is still reigning supreme while all the morning show hosts (The Today Show) are running around trying to figure out which way is up. He has a lot to handle right now, not to mention the imaginary bridge that he would have to walk over, that doesn't exist right now, between the two major networks.

All this being said, I would put forth that I truly see the benefits of both major corporations. They both bring so much to the table, but I don't know if this award season is the year to make Jimmy Fallon feel like the kid in a divorced parents situation. I truly love Jimmy Fallon and I think he has a real gift for comedy. I feel sad that I am even saying he shouldn't be considered, but I think it's risky.

Instead, maybe a small ensemble of women such as stars from Bridesmaids could take on the challenge. I know that Melissa McCarthy could truly handle the task. Choosing a host is not a thing to take on lightly, so I am glad to know that ABC is starting now. We will just have to see where this ride takes us, but any which way this turns out...I will be parked in front of the television watching the stars get the awards they truly deserve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment