Saturday, January 7, 2012

The last Meryl post...well at least for awhile


I know you all have been waiting patiently to find out what I think the number one Meryl Streep movie is. For me, it's the one that started my obsession and love for Meryl Streep's acting. I didn't even really care to see this film when it first came out, but after I saw it, all I want to do was go see it again and again. The film has become an instant classic and engages audiences of young and old. You guessed it...Mamma Mia. I learned a lot about Meryl right after watching this film. Such as she really wanted Helena Bonham Carter's role in the movie production of Sweeney Todd. When she didn't get that role, she decided to take up Donna Sheridan in Mamma Mia.

Like I said, when I saw this film I was not a huge Meryl fan. This is the one that started it all. I went to go see the movie with my mom and my sister. I couldn't help but think the whole time I was watching that I had absolutely no idea that Meryl Streep could sing so well. I was starstruck to say the least. I had only seen a few of her movies: The Devil Wears Prada, Stuck on You, and just the year before I had seen Sophie's Choice. Sophie's Choice will change your life forever. From that point I really liked Meryl Streep. Watching her sing and dance in Greece, I wanted to see her in more films.

Mamma Mia to say the least is a great musical. But when it was put into a movie version it was done so well and with such a great cast. Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Julie Walters, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, and Christine Barinski make up the main players. I have since seen a play production of this musical and in my opinion the movie tops it!

Here's my favorite scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGJ_aoOscE

Well this ends the Meryl Streep streak for awhile. She has been in many other fabulous films and I encourage you to check out them all, especially The Iron Lady which hits theaters next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment