Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Les Miserables

I have been waiting to write this review post for over a year and a half. I should rephrase that, I have been waiting to write this blogpost for just under two decades. I became a fan of Les Miserables as a five year old, hearing it while driving around with my family on the roads of Connecticut and New York. I didn't know what any of the story meant, but I knew that I loved the music. My mom was a huge fan as I heard the music repeatedly it became a tradition. My fondest memories of being a kid involve this musical. My mom singing Jean Valjean's part (and all the rest of them) beautifully and hearing her explain to me what was going on behind each of the songs. When I was older I saw the show on Broadway and realized the true beauty of this epic and amazing production. It was like seeing clearly for the first time. I knew the music, but even my mom telling me the meaning behind the words couldn't prepare me for the actual feeling of watching the show. This summer when I moved from Kansas City to Connecticut, my family drove here in three separate cars. Because I had never driven that long by myself I kept company with the broadway soundtrack, listening to it three times over. To say that this show means something to myself and to my family is a sheer understatement, this musical is embedded into our lives and woven through the memories and experiences that we have together.

So, this day has finally come. The day that I get to share my thoughts and feelings about my favorite musical of all time gracing the silver screen.  It's going to be a  mouthful of a post so get ready. If you take nothing else from what I have to say, just know that for the last ten minutes of the film I was sobbing. Not out of hate or disjustice to the adaptation, but for the opposite reason. I was sobbing for the reason that everyone sobs when they know the message of Les Miserables: "to love another person is to see the face of God."

I can't think of words that are adequate enough to describe Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Jean Valjean. In my ill attempt here are some words that do come to mind: unstoppable, beautiful, touching, gut-wrenching, perfection, strong and most importantly brilliant. There is not a person in the world who could have fulfilled this movie role better. The transformation that this role requires for the big screen is a crazy one to be put simply. Jackman had to lose weight, part with his hair and gain a lot of unattractive face scruff for some of his scenes. And that's just for the portion of the time he is a prisoner. When he is the mayor and onward in the film he has aged and become a fine man of the 1830's. It did take me a few minutes of the film for my mind to flip him around into being Jean Valjean, but once it had settled in; I realized his awe inspiring performance that I had waited so long to see. Jackman brings the emotions at the right times and his singing is perfection. It isn't always as strong as the broadway Valjean's, but it shows the depth and gravity of the situations that he has been burdened with. Hugh will be nominated and most definitely deserves to win best actor.

Amanda Seyfried as Cosette is again the perfect match. We all know that Amanda can sing from her role in Mamma Mia. But playing Cosette in comparison to Sophie Sheridan is a whole different animal. Seyfried sings Cosette's soprano parts with maturity far past her age. Pitch for pitch she is one of the ones who matches the broadway soundtrack the best. The greatest part is she seems to play the role with ease, as if she just looked at her lines and transformed herself into a different character.

Marius is one of my favorite characters in the musical. His bravery and valor stand alone as things you admire, but his heart is the real winner. Eddie Redmayne took my breath away in the role. I literally want to marry him. His singing voice in "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" will literally bring you to tears.

Helena Bonham Carter was also very well cast as Madame Thenardier. The children who played Gavroche and young Cosette, Daniel Huttlestone and Isabelle Allen respectfully, were also beautiful. They both played very important roles to the story, and with no prior acting experience they are bringing joy to millions around the world. My favorite surprise in this adaptation was Enroljas, Marius' best friend, played by Aaron Tviet. His voice is amazing and without him the barricade scenes would have lacked everything. His voice brings "Red and Black" to life.

In a movie there are always instances of miscastings. This movie had three in my opinion. Russell Crowe was in no way shape or form good enough for this role. He has the look of Javert and it's obvious that his audition song was "Stars," but he cant pull off the role. I was left wanting more, especially when it came to songs with high notes. I think that Ewan McGregor would have been the perfect alternative to Crowe. He would have to be scruffed up a lot but he has the emotion ability and the range in his voice to take on the task. I know it's hard to pick Hollywood stars for big budget musicals. I heard an interesting remark when leaving the theater. One man said to another: "This is America. We have movie stars not actors, that's why Russell Crowe couldn't do it." He's right. This film was released at the time and made with these people to win awards as well as please audiences. If anyone can sing then Javert could have been fulfilled by Daniel Craig or Tom Hardy before Russell Crowe.

Sacha Baron Cohen was cast as Thenardier. His quips, tricks and attitude were completely in tune with the original character. His singing was disappointing to me though. I know that he can sing, but I think he was directed to say sing instead of belting out the tunes. "Master of the House" was fun to watch, but the breath and depth of the singing left me wanting more. I craved to see Russell Brand in this role instead. I know that he would have added, or fought to add, the quirks and richness to the role that deserved to be there.

Anne Hathaway was a hit and a miss. She was a miss in the first part of the film before her character Fantine dies. Anne tried her damnedest and her singing is beautiful and striking. However, you are watching Anne Hathaway on screen, not her portrayal of another character. I know that Anne thinks of this film and this role as not only her role of a lifetime but her golden ticket to the Oscars and the Golden Globes. If you ask me she deserves to be nominated, however, there is no way that she should win. When Fantine returns at the end of the film to welcome Valjean to heaven, Hathaway embodies the role with a whole different feel. It's the look in her eyes and the strength behind her voice without being cocky that makes the tears spring to your eyes.

Overall the film is breathtakingly beautiful. The scenery is well done and the music will still give you the chills. I am happy to present it with four out of five stars. And I am signing myself up to see it again as soon as I can get back to the theater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment