Saturday, October 11, 2014

Gillian Flynn is On a Roll (Spoilers Ahead)

Ever since I went to The View to see Meryl Streep I have been kind of obsessed with Gillian Flynn. That seems like a strange sentence to type, but it's true. The day that Meryl Streep was on The View with Tommy Lee Jones to promote their film Hope Springs was also the day that Gillian Flynn went on to promote her third book Gone Girl. After the first ten pages of the book I was hooked. Never had I read the work of an author that was so twisted and yet so relatable. It's probably so relatable to me since I spent six years living in Kansas/Missouri where all of her books take places. One of her books even takes place in the town I used to teach in. So,I pretty much ate Gone Girl for breakfast and then made it my job to be Flynn's publicist. I ran around telling everyone to read this book and soon after to read her earlier work.

Gillian Flynn's success lies in her ability to understand how dark life can be. That ability is scary and yet comforting at the same time. For people who have seen dark things in their own lives it's like looking in a mirror or coming home to read one of her books. For people who don't know darkness  there is a certain fascination and horror in reading her twisted tales. Her greatest triumph is writing these books about women. Women who have been through dark things or done dark deeds themselves. Flynn isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and to get her hands dirty. Her readers are thanking her for it. Gone Girl has had enormous success. Dark Places, her second book has been turned into a film that's in post production starring Charlize Theron. Sharp Objects her first novel (which was my favorite) will be turned into a series long television show much like the critically acclaimed True Detective. This woman is making the most of her films and I can't say anything but thank you. Because after seeing her hand in Gone Girl as the screenwriter I can't wait to see these other two projects.

So about the film Gone Girl. I left feeling exhilarated. It's rare for me to feel that way after a book to movie translation. But Flynn was able to keep the true essence of the story intact. I did however feel different after seeing the movie than I had after finishing the book. And the reason is a little disturbing. I read the book and thought: "Well that was disgusting and thought provoking." I felt bad for Nick's character and I wanted Amy to pay time for what she had done. But something about seeing their early relationship on screen during the film changed my perspective. Amy's character became more fascinating and less scary. Maybe I am the only one and maybe I have some problems myself, but I think it was just the acting of Rosamind Pike. Rosamind Pike is nothing short of perfect. She's dark and charming and so twisted. Without her in this film it would not be what it is. The casting had to be perfect for Amy's character. Not someone who is so well known and not someone that the public eye doesn't know from Adam. As movie viewers we trust actors who we know and cherish to bring good performances. Pike is a solid actress but she seriously comes out of left field with this one. I knew she could do this role when she was casted, but I didn't know that this role was made for her. And I guarantee you it will be the role that shapes her whole career. There is not a doubt in my mind that she will be nominated for Best Actress. The odds are pretty decent that she will not only get nominated but take the cake and walk away with the award.

Ben Affleck shines in a role that evolves over time. First you hate him and then you love him and then you pity him and fear for his life in general. He goes through all of the different motions with ease. You have to remind yourself while watching the film that it's indeed a film and not another tragedy you are seeing take place on the eyewitness news. Neil Patrick Harris is the creepy guy who provides light in a dark story and also provides this deep level of creepy. His house with all of those cameras is nothing short of disturbing. Harris takes on the role again like it was written for him and channels his inner Barnie from HIMYM and a darker underbelly side of a wounded ex-boyfriend. Tyler Perry, Carrie Coon and Kim Dickens round out the rest of the immediate cast and all gave performances that were breathtaking. Kim Dickens as the Southern detective in Missouri was hilarious because people in Missouri don't have Southern accents, but I still loved her portrayal just the same.

If you haven't read the book I tried not to completely ruin it for you. My advice is to read the book before seeing the film and if you don't do that at least read her other two books before those projects get released. Gillian Flynn is an author that embraces the not-so-flowery parts of life and she brings the sprinkle of darkness and tragedy that we as humans all crave. I am eagerly awaiting these other two projects and most of all another book from Flynn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment