Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Mr. Roger's Race

The race is on to see who will portray the friendliest guy in the neighborhood in a new biopic called: It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. We all know and miss Mr. Fred Rogers. Let's face it, if you were a kid between the late 60's until the early 2000's, you definitely watched his show a time or two. I loved his snappy personality and he is beloved for his crazy cardigans, but who can master all that in a film? The picks have been narrowed down, at least in the eyes of the public. Here are the top players:

1. Matthew Broderick
People tend to react warmly to him. He has the acting personality of being congenial, kind and a good sport. I could see him emulating the role in a positive way, but I think that someone else could pull of the look and the portrayal better.

2. Vincent Kartheiser
Newly engaged to Alexis Bledel and starring on Mad Men, Vincent isn't as widely known, but shouldn't be overlooked for the amount of acting talent he possesses. This young star has my second place vote. I can just picture him in the sweater vests and cardigans talking to the puppets and having a grand ole' time.

3. Neil Patrick Harris
I don't really see this one, but I will admit that he does have the charisma. He might just have a little too much charisma. Mr. Rogers was very kind and polite, but he also wasn't over the top with personality.

4. Jim Carrey
Hell to the no! I do not agree with this name floating anywhere near Fred Roger's name. I am not saying anything bad about Carrey right now, but he is nowhere near right for the part. He plays slapstick comedy and just no. I know that he was right for The Truman Show but he is not right for this.

5. Jim Parsons
Parsons has the look, but I don't know that he would be the best fit. There is just something about him that exudes too much nerdiness and not enough maturity.

6. Ty Burrell
I would love to see this! I don't think Ty is the absolute right choice, but definitely has the demeanor to meet the role. Hate to say it, but this one is a beautiful long shot.

7. Steve Carell
I gotta give it to Steve here, he is my number one choice. I have seen him play the nerdy role (not that Mr. Rogers was nerdy, just a refined-cardigan-wearing man) and he does it not only well, but with grace. Think of him in Hope Springs and mix that with kid-friendly, educational television. I think Carell would bring the appropriate age and maturity to the role while still having fun with the biopic at the same time. Mr. Rogers was a man who was beloved by all, and I know that Carell could capture that essence and brilliance.


No comments:

Post a Comment