Thursday, February 16, 2012

Underrated Actresses

As promised, here are my notes on underrated actresses. This is just my opinion, but I think these leading ladies are not being recognized as leading at all. They all bring something unique to the table. Some of them were more popular ten years ago, but their films and legacies should not be forgotten.

1. Bonnie Hunt
I first loved Bonnie Hunt when she played Alice Newton, that's right, the mom in Beethoven! I always loved that movie growing up. So it was no surprise that I loved her in Cheaper By the Dozen and Cheaper By the Dozen 2. She has done so much for Pixar films over the last ten years as well. The other great thing about Bonnie Hunt is that she hosted her own television show for two years. She is a hilarious class act and I have always been a huge fan. Of course, she is not completely underrated, because you all know and probably love Bonnie Hunt. However, I think she falls into this category because she is overlooked as a great actress. You ask most people to come up with their list of the top twenty actresses in Hollywood, and she probably wouldn't appear on too many of the lists....why not? In my opinion, the main reason is that she has chosen to stick to family films. Within this reason is another: a lot of her acting in recent years has been in animated films such as Cars and Toy Story 3. Even though we recognize a voice in a character, most people cannot place it without looking it up or watching the credits roll at the end of the film.
I think Bonnie Hunt is amazing and her comedic timing is impeccable. Watch a few more of her films and see for yourself.

2. Helen Hunt
I know what you are thinking...but actually Helen and Bonnie are of no relation. Just a commonality in their last name. I think Helen Hunt is definitely unappreciated and underrated! She was all the rage in the 90's but now has fallen into the cracks. She needs to be kept alive as a great legend for the next generation. Kids need to see movies like Twister and As Good As It Gets and don't forget Pay It Forward. No one talks about Helen Hunt anymore. And I know the reasons behind why...people want to talk about what is hot right now and who is in. I agree with this and I am all for discovering new talent and delving into current talent; but we can't let the past slip away either.

3. Ellen Page
I blogged about her co-star J.K. Simmons just the other day in the underrated actors post. I personally love Ellen Page and have since Juno. How could you not fall in love with her when watching that movie? She shines as the young, sarcastic, fresh teen who has to deal with an unexpected pregnancy. The movie, as I have mentioned, is eloquently written while still allowing the feel of reality and fear that the situation it covers would truly present. I always thought she should have won some awards, but then her next big movie graced the screen. That movie was: Inception. If you have not seen this film, please do not hesitate! It is amazing, so well shot and the depth of the story will keep you wondering what really happened for at least a few months. Page is amazing in her role and I was shocked to see no award grabs for it.
I think she is under-looked because of her age and honestly the choices of her scripts. Her movies have been well-loved and well-received, but they are not the scripts that are gathering the attention when it comes to casting nominations.  I hope that someday Ellen gets the recognition that she truly deserves.

4. Rita Wilson
First off, she is Tom Hanks wife. If that doesn't define awesome, I truly do not know what does. I think what does not put Rita on the map of leading ladies is that most of her roles are in fact, not the lead role. She always does a fantastic job and nails her roles but she is usually supporting: It's Complicated, The Runaway Bride, Sleepless in Seattle etc. I would love for her to get a huge break and really show audiences what she can do. I love her in everything I have ever seen her in.


5. Rachel Griffiths
Her acting could be looked at as limited by some. I do not think she has limited herself, I just think that she hasn't done as much as top dogs in Hollywood. I was addicted to watching Brothers & Sisters for many seasons and she was one of the staples on that show. I never got tired of her storyline or watching her act it out. She has great depth as an actor. Like Wilson, most of the time she plays a supporting role, the most well known was a very small role in My Best Friend's Wedding. She plays the cousin in the ugly dress and I am sure that if you have only seen that movie once, you know what I am talking about. I would love for her to get her hands on a great drama role that she could really go all out in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment